Monday, March 22, 2010

The final days

So, this is it.

I started playing trumpet 13 years ago (3rd grade), in my Grandparent's living room. I still remember that first lesson like it was yesterday. My Grandfather gave me a HIDEOUS looking trumpet, but it was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen. It was made in 1912 so it had very little function... the tuning slide was a knob, not a slide, and the valves barely moved. "Say 'Hut'"... that is where it all began.

In fourth grade, I played "The School Song" for a talent show.

In sixth grade, I was it. I was the sixth grader that auditioned for All-County and played with the seventh graders. I got to teach the other kids how to play trumpet.

In seventh grade, I made my first All-County and was first chair jazz band.

After eighth grade, I went to my first UNCG Summer Music Camp and had my very first lesson with Dr. Edward Bach. I remember calling home before the lesson, terrified at what this Dr. Bach man would be like and what he would think about my playing.

High school came and I did my time in marching band, concert band (for longer than I ever wanted), wind ensemble, jazz band, and carolina brass. For the first time, I started questioning my abilities. JR tore me down repeatedly, but looking back, he only made me better. I came home in tears, always ready to throw in the towel and quit. I kept going to camp and got more lessons with Dr. Bach... turns out he was an ok teacher.

At my last year of music camp, Dr. Bach and I sat down and had the first of many serious talks. "I can tell you want to do science education, but you don't light up when you talk about it the way you do when you talk about music... just think about it." I thought he was out of his mind.

But I auditioned that January. I was accepted the next week and was lucky enough to receive a scholarship to the UNCG School of Music. So I came.

The minute I heard Trumpet Ensemble on the first day of class, my ego was out the door. I had never seen/ heard/ or been in anything like that.

The rest, they say, is history.

So, after all of that, this is my last serious week. On Sunday, I will give my Senior Recital, playing a mix of music that I have worked on with both my Grandfather and Dr. Bach. After that, no more lessons and no more "required" practicing. It is a really weird thought.

I have learned so much over the last 13 years- not just about music, but about life. Music has been my passion, my work, my hobby, the bane of my existence, and the worst thing in my life (just like any good boyfriend!). It won't end here, there is no way that I could let it end, but it will definitely change.

From here, I go to Seminary. I will still teach, gig, and hopefully do some more recitals. But it will never be the same. From here, I leave and am on my own. No more formal studies. It is almost terrifying.

So, after all of that, a HUGE thank you to everyone who made the last 13 years possible. My Grandfather has to have been the most important person in this journey. He is the reason I began playing trumpet, the reason I kept playing trumpet, and the reason that I have made it to this point and want to continue through teaching. All of my band directors- Mr. Branam, Mrs. Nelson, Mr. Jackson, Mr. Jobert, JR, Mr. Quinn, and Dr. Locke. Some incredible friends- John Fleggas, the most amazing group of band geeks ever (Kelly Tomlinson, Erin Smith, Lauren Saylor, Marc Larance, Dom Sanchez, Richie Francis, Stefan Mazzara, and Brian Davidson), Mike Schietzelt, and Ben Crotts (and of course all of my other INCREDIBLE friends... there are way too many to keep listing). Doc Askew, who has been an incredible mentor and friendeven though he didn't have to be. Nancy Davis, the best accompanist in the world and worth every cent! And of course, Dr. Bach, who continued where my Grandfather left off when I came to UNCG and has always been more than a teacher... he has been my friend. And yea... my family (who put up with way too many dieing cow sounds back in the day, and have come to every concert and most of my gigs).

I feel like this was a grammy speech or something. But it was all worth saying, and everyone really needed to be thanked.

So this is it...

No comments:

Post a Comment